Specialised Zoological is a scientific consultancy business that specialises in bats, bioacoustics and genetic identification. It is managed by Dr Kyle Armstrong. Contact me at kyle.n.armstrong at gmail dot com.
Core services include the non-invasive detection and identification of bat species from echolocation call recordings, targeted field surveys, long term monitoring of threatened bat species, biological research and the provision of conservation and management advice—anything involving bats. SZ is highly innovative, and is expanding into new areas. Read more here.
Knowledge generation allows for goodguidance.
Why choose Specialised Zoological?
- Qualified research zoologist with a PhD on bats (University of Western Australia), and two bat-related postdoctoral research fellowships (Kyoto University, University of Adelaide).
- 20 years experience in environmental consultancy specialising on bats, with 450+ project involvements in Western Australia, Papua New Guinea, Northern Territory, Far North Queensland, Timor-Leste and Indonesia.
- Talented with all relevant commercial hardware and software systems for the acoustic analysis of bat signals, and provide customised, highly flexible and innovative solutions for individual projects.
- Often consulted for contributions to government policy.
...and much more—please enquire for a full CV or bio. See Kyle's list of scientific publications here for a demonstrated track record both in academic empirical research and zoological consultancy over 20 years.
- mining and energy companies such as ExxonMobil, BHP Billiton Iron Ore, Rio Tinto Iron Ore, Rio Tinto Alcan, Atlas Iron, Mt Gibson Iron, Western Desert Resources, Incitec Pivot;
- the Australian Commonwealth Government, Western Australian Department of Parks and Wildlife, Western Highlands Province, Papua New Guinea;
- other environmental consultancy companies: Coffey Environments, ERM, ERIAS, GHD, MWH Global/Outback Ecology, EcOz Environmental, Eco Logical, Biologic, Sinclair Knight Merz, Ecotone Environmental Services, Western Wildlife, MBS Environmental, Bamford Consulting Ecologists, Animal Plant Mineral, Rapallo, ENV Australia, Ninox, Umwelt Australia, ERA Environment Solutions NZ, Worley Parsons, Terrestrial Ecosystems, Astron Environmental, O2 Environmental;
- international conservation organisations including Conservation International, Wildlife Conservation Society.
Leading the way with bats in Papua New Guinea
Specialised Zoological is also part of a team of senior biologists that provide services in Papua New Guinea and Asia. Team members focus on mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, dragonflies, butterflies, and of course plants. We have been involved in the environmental assessment of many of the major development projects in Papua New Guinea in the past few years. Kyle works with Dr Ken Aplin on mammals. Kyle's knowledge of bat echolocation in Papua New Guinea is unsurpassed.
More about SZ
Established Sept 2007. Specialised Zoological is an Australian registered business (ABN 92 265 437 422) based in Adelaide, South Australia. In Kyle's research life, he is currently an Affiliate Associate Lecturer at The University of Adelaide, an Honorary Research Associate of the South Australian Museum, and previously held a 4-year role as President of the Australasian Bat Society, Inc.